Associate Principal Scientist -Genetic Sequencing
Associate Principal Scientist – Genetic Sequencing
18 months Long Term Temp role
Very competitive Salary
The Associate Principal Scientist will have oversight of multiple teams conducting the specific areas of the patient testing process; conducting the ultra-high throughput next generation sequencing of positive Covid samples for the assessment of variants, from sample accessioning of positive samples cherry-picked from the qPCR testing lines, RNA to cDNA conversion, amplification, next generation sequencing DNA library preparation, QC, pooling and subsequently genome sequencing through to data delivery both from a people and science perspective.
This may also include delivery of data where the role holder will need to be Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registered.
The Associate Principal Scientist will be accountable for all science on the lab line and will work closely with a shift manager to deliver the lab line output.
The Associate Principal Scientist will be responsible for performing quality assurance, with a focus on critical thinking and problem-solving to ensure processes are carried out according to the lab’s Standard Operating Procedures.
A key part of the role will be to effectively identify, resolve and/or escalate any risks and issues that occur during a set shift.
This role will require you to be as the Associate Principal Scientist :
ü Management of the patient testing process across the lab line, from sample receipt, accessioning, sample preparation, RNA extraction, through to delivery of PCR data
ü Achieve agreed KPI’s on sample throughput delivery, quality and Health & Safety
ü Perform quality assurance, ensuring lab processes are carried out according to the lab’s Standard Operating Procedures
ü Motivated, high-performing shift of up to 50 staff
ü Role model and key person of influence on the lab lines, instilling correct lab and clinical practices
- Accountable for all science on the lab line, acting as a role model to instil the culture across the team
- Responsible for a large team of lab staff (up to 50) across multiple lab rooms ensuring that each room is following the correct scientific processes as per the Standard Operating Procedures
- Responsible for the health, safety and welfare of the team
- Responsible for the end-to-end process of the lab line and achieving key Turnaround Targets down the line
- Maintain lab process void rates at or below the agreed targets and meet required health, safety and cleanliness standards
- Act as initial escalation point for any scientific issues, including equipment issues, and determine correct means of resolution
- Maintain quality standards, ensuring any risks are identified and resolved, escalating to the Principal Scientist and support teams as necessary
- Ensure that Non-Conformances (NC’s) and Audit points are raised, investigated and closing actions completed in a timely manner
- Responsible for performance management across the lab team, ensuring appropriate team building and engagement with the team, including probation and appraisals processes.
This includes direct line management of the Shift Manager and Senior Scientists
- Responsible for ensuring all staff on shift are trained and competent for their roles, liaising with Room Leads (and Training) to identify training and development opportunities to address any performance concerns, and with other shifts to assess any wider requirements
- Ensure Room Leads and Product Owners contribute to the working Production Guidance document
Skill and Capability Requirements:
ü BSc or MSc in Biomedical Sciences
ü Extensive experience of working within a Bioscience lab setting, preferably high throughput, includingexperience of handling human biological samples.
- Significant experience in molecular biology, including PCR, next generation sequencing & associated workflows, qPCR.
- Experience of using and troubleshooting the above methods
ü Experience of maintaining and improving documents and procedures within lab accreditation specifications (ISO15189:2012 / ISO17025:2019) in Quality Management Systems
ü Proven experience of deploying health and safety protocols in a regulated lab setting
ü Strong managerial experience dealing with large, diverse teams and performance issues
ü Proven ability to solve complex problems under pressure and use initiative to promptly make informed decisions
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC Registered)
- Experience of working with a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Working with pathology IT
- Knowledge/performance of Risk Assessments
* For a full Job Spec please call Vanessa on 0203 750 0575 Ext 302.
Insignia Recruit and our clients are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment.
Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be
- Rate: Â£25 - 30 per hour
- Location: Leamington Spa
- Type: Contract
- Industry: Science
- Recruiter: Elite Executive Search & Selection Ltd
- Contact: Vanessa Barnes
- Tel: 0203 750 0575
- Email: to view click here
- Reference: VHB00205
- Posted: 2021-12-29 14:39:59 -
- View all Jobs from Elite Executive Search & Selection Ltd
More Jobs from Elite Executive Search & Selection Ltd
- Quality Manager FTC 12 months or Perm role
- Item Master Data Lead Bill of Material
- Regulatory Affairs Officer 18 months long-term temp role
- Regulatory Affairs Manager 18 Months long-term Temp role
- LIMS Administrator 18 month long term temp role
- Test Scientist -18 month Temp Role
- Lead Radiographer
- HDU Recovery / Critical Care Nurse
- Informatics Testing Lead FTC
- Full Stack Developer FTC Day Rate
- Junior R &D Scientist
- Molecular Diagnostic Product Development Scientist
- IT Lab Technician
- Lab IT Technician
- Research Assistants
- Clinical Nurse Specialist (Head & Neck Oncology)
- Head of Nursing (Cancer Services)
- Principal Scientist
- Associate Principal Scientist -Genetic Sequencing
- HCPC Reg. SBMS or BMS -Sign Out Manager