Head of Science Support & Development
Head of Scientific Support & Development (SSD) - Permanent Position
Based in Milton Keynes
Monday -Friday 35 hour week- requires person to be flexible as needs of business as 24/7 operation
The post holder will be responsible for the development, validation, verification, quality assurance and other scientific support for both UKBC Core and Covid labs.
Managing the process for validation of all reagents, consumables, instruments and processes used across all Labs within UKBC.
Working with the Operations Managers of Core and Covid Laboratories, Heads of Biomedical Scientists and Technical Services ensure the efficient operation and development of their outputs.
Oversight of the development and maintenance of all ISO standards in conjunction with the quality management team.
The Head of SSD will also work with the business development team in whatever capacity needed to win and develop new business for UK Biocentre.
The postholder will assess and horizon-scan new technologies in the marketplace to make suitable recommendations to the Executive Management Team for the investment in new capabilities
Reporting into the Laboratory Director , you will be responsible for the Principal Scientist, Analytical Scientist, Associate Scientist, Scientific Officer and associated Validation teams, in addition to working cross-functionally with other departments within the Core and Covid Business Units
ü A PhD in Biomedical Science, Molecular Biology, Virology, Bioinformatics or relevant area
ü Considerable (>5 years) experience of high throughput Molecular Biology automation.
ü Considerable (>5 years) experience in designing, optimising and troubleshooting DNA/RNA extraction & Quantification, PCR, qPCR and other molecular biology process.
ü Extensive experience in leadership and people management roles.
ü A highly collaborative individual who can coach peers and communicate effectively across departments
ü A team player who can demonstrate leadership qualities whilst being able to manage and motivate individuals and team development, with the aim of increasing project ownership, autonomy and confidence
ü Proven track record of troubleshooting, problem solving and implementing changes
ü Extensive experience in working with LIMS platforms
ü Proven knowledge and experience in working to ISO quality standards to support the quality and integrity of scientific service quality whilst being fully compliant with Client and scientific processes.
ü Must communicate effectively to stakeholders at all levels inside and outside the organisation
ü Demonstrate the ability to influence senior managers and decision makers within multiple stakeholders (internal and external) to provide the opportunities for growth.
ü A motivated self-starter with a can-do attitude who takes a pro-active approach to all aspects of their work including implementation of new technologies and methodologies, development of quality or productivity improvement programmes.
ü Providing expert advice on best practice to wider parts of the business.
ü Responsible for developing a working knowledge and understanding of the sciences as they relate to the services offered and passing on that knowledge to other interested individuals.
- Previous experience of working in line with and writing Lab documents based on ISO:15189 standards.
- Previous experience in Bioinformatics/Bio statistics and developing Statistical models for trend analysis
- Proven knowledge and experience with HTA, preferably as a Designated Individual.
- Previous experience of working in a commercial environment
- Experience in producing business proposals, process workflows and budget documentation for new scientific projects.
- Experience of procurement and budget management.
Thisj ob description is not exhaustive and will be subject to periodic review in association with the post-holder.
* For a full Job Spec please call Vanessa on 0203 750 0575 Ext 302.
Insignia Recruit and our clients are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment.
Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
- Rate: Market related
- Location: Milton Keynes
- Type: Permanent
- Industry: Science
- Recruiter: Elite Executive Search & Selection Ltd
- Contact: Vanessa Barnes
- Tel: 0203 750 0575
- Email: to view click here
- Reference: VHB00194
- Posted: 2021-10-04 12:00:51 -
- View all Jobs from Elite Executive Search & Selection Ltd
More Jobs from Elite Executive Search & Selection Ltd
- Quality Officer -Scientific 17025
- Associate Principal Scientist -Genetic Sequencing
- Principal Scientist
- Senior Biomedical Scientist
- Associate Practitioner / Lab Tech Band 4
- Scientific Quality Assurance Manager- FTC 6 months
- Test Scientist -18 month Temp Role
- LAMP Site Representative
- Covid Screening Program Shift Manager - Leicester
- Environmental Officer, Long term Temp role
- Biomedical Scientist - Leicester
- Incident Officer, 18 months Lon Term Temp role
- Software Developer
- Software Developer
- HR Coordinator
- Onboarding Manager
- Onboarding Coordinator
- Bioinformatician -Loughborough
- Bioinformatician -Wolverhampton
- Laboratory Operations Manager